Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Confessions of a PCT hiker

"Bless me Father for I have sinned"
Confessional prayer



There are moments on the PCT where an interaction with a hiker or hikers can change the balance of the day. I don't recall the time or day, but it was where the PCT overlaps the Tahoe Rim Trail. I came across a group of young boys hiking toward me. As they approached I heard the clear and rhythmic reciting of the Hail Mary prayer. As they passed, each boy nodded their head in acknowledgement, but continued reciting... Odd? Maybe. Different? Yes. Thought provoking? Most certainly.

It caused me to reflect back on my early years in the Catholic Church. Specifically the idea of confessing ones sins. As a boy I found it difficult to come up with sins worthy of confessing. In my little boy mind, it seemed that it was important to have a sin that would impress, but not offend the good padre.

But, all these years later. I must admit, I've done enough sinning to not only impress, but totally offend even the most seasoned padre.

So, many places I could go with this idea. But, what would be the point? Would I be redeemed and ready to trek on? I realized the folly of that idea long ago. My inly hope, wish, is that all those I touched will forgive me, forgive my folly, forgive my indifference, forgive me my sins.



Hail Mary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
.............. Repeated 10x

Rabbit on the PCT

No comments:

Post a Comment