Wednesday, January 24, 2018

“The big question”

“ The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure “
Joseph Campbell









Yes!
That is what has been bouncing around in my head. Bouncing around in anticipation of beginning my journey along the Camino de Santiago. This journey, this adventure, as a “peregrino” will begin at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Situated on the French side of the Pyrenees, this ancient village is the starting point for the Camino France’s. A 780km trek to Santiago de Compostela.

The idea of a “hearty yes” has only been tempered by the question asked of all “peregrinos”. What is the motivation for this endeavor? Religious , religious and other or other? The answer to this question will determine the type of Compostela (certificate) issued to me at the end of my journey. The true Compostela or a simpler certificate.

I suppose I’ve been searching for the answer to that question much longer then I’ve known of the Camino.

When I first learned of the Camino de Santiago I had only a slight interest in the “why”. It was the “what” that caught my attention. The “what”, being the act of traveling to Europe and walking over 500 miles along a path that has existed for centuries. Now, as the start of my Camino draws closer, the “why” has become more prominent in my thoughts. It has become clearer to me, my adventure is to experience the Camino in its truest sense. As a “peregrino” in search of his relationship with God. To be clear, my relationship with God has had its moments. Moments of understanding and love. Moments of misunderstandings and loss.
But, I’ve never abandoned the search.

As a boy, I was a curious catholic. Unfortunately, not as curious about the Bible or God, as I was of the worshippers who sat around me. Of particular interest were the hand full of little old men, who seemed to have been touched by God. They would arrive by themselves, taking a knee in a pew at the rear or far edges of the church. It was evident, at least to me, that as they prayed silently, a light shined directly upon them. There was a gentle sense of being and belonging. I assumed then and believed for many years years after, that thru osmosis, I too would be touched. One day, I would be a little old man, touched by God. All that was needed, was to show up in church every so often to make sure the door was still open. I now realize it takes a bit more then just showing up.

So, it is then that I chose to live this adventure and my life with a “hearty yes”. Let me be the first to say that like St. Thomas the Apostle, I am a believer with doubts. Doubts about my faith, doubts about the faith of others and doubts about myself. But, just as in life, the Camino doesn’t demand that I find all the answers, it only asks that I provide a “hearty yes” to seeking. Seeking an understanding, seeking the adventure.

I will be sharing this adventure with all who wish to take an interest. Please read and follow my journey and share your thoughts with me.

Backpack is ready, tomorrow it begins with a flight to Paris.......










“Buen Camino”
“G” on the Camino




Location:Camino France’s

3 comments:

  1. To be inspired is great. To inspire is incredible. Thanks for being an inspiration!
    Come with a dream. Train like an athlete. Leave like a role model. Thanks for being a positive role model!
    Be safe, experience happiness, and love life!
    Cindy and Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im exited for you Gilbert! Hope you have an amazing adventure! :))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. You live a remarkable life Gilbert! Texas will be following you on your journey my friend. Safe travels to you.....Judges 18:6 “Go in peace. The journey on which you go is under the eye of the Lord.”

    ReplyDelete